Preconstruction Internship Summer 2024
Published: November 1, 2023
Hamel Builders, Inc., has an opening for a paid Internship position. The Construction Estimator Intern will be responsible for helping in creating cost estimates and assisting the tender process for Hamel Builders. They will work closely with the sales, estimating, and operations team to ensure internal alignment. The length of the Internship is 10 weeks. The ideal candidate for this entry level position will be able to work full-time at 40 hours per week during the summer and be able to travel to job sites. The qualified candidate will join an organization that relies on strong teamwork and furthers individual opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilize plans, specifications, and knowledge of controls/construction industry to
analyze project needs and compile detailed cost estimates.
- Assist the take-off and pricing of controls materials to ensure accuracy of
- Responsible for identifying possible cost saving opportunities and/or risk items
that will occur on various projects.
- Maintain competitive advantage by staying current with industry standards.
- Assist with the scope of work for sub-contractors.
- Help optimize job costs by negotiating prices with vendors/sub-contractors
through quotations for materials/services.
- Assist in onboarding projects.
- Assist in developing new tools, process, and projects.
Mentorship & Collaboration
- Work 1 on 1 with an assigned Project M of the project life cycle.
- Attend workshops and receive certifications for Plan Swift, OSHA 10, Professional Life
- Attend industry specific field trips
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Ability to pass background check
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Attention to detail
- Ability to analyze and interpret contractual documents
- Strong self-organizational and management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be dependable, prompt, accountable, professional, and mature
Qualified candidate must be currently enrolled in a trade, or an accredited two-year or four-year college or university with a focus in construction management or related field. Equivalent industry certification for motivated candidates will be considered in the absence of this requirement.
Back to Job Openings